A History of the Archaeological Museum of State of Israel in Jerusalem, 1949-1965.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

Abstract

This paper reviews the forgotten history of the museum of the Israel Department of Antiquities and Museums (hereafter IDAM) in Jerusalem, which until 1965 was the central archaeological museum of the State of Israel. From its humble beginnings with a small temporary exhibition in 1949, the creators of this museum gathered together a large and important collection of antiquities. These founders hoped to create the cornerstone for the future new central museum of Israel. However, the State entrusted the general manager of the Prime Minister’s office, Tedi Kollek with the establishment of this new museum. In 1962, Avraham Biran, who worked closely with Kollek, was appointed director of IDAM. Biran eventually transferred the treasures of the IDAM to the new Bronfman Museum, the archaeological section of the Israel Museum.
Original languageEnglish
JournalBulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society
Volume33
Pages (from-to)155-178
Number of pages24
ISSN0266-2442
Publication statusPublished - 2015
MoE publication typeA1 Journal article-refereed

Fields of Science

  • 615 History and Archaeology
  • History
  • Archaeology
  • history of archaeology
  • Jerusalem
  • HERITAGE
  • Museums
  • Politics and culture
  • Israel Museum
  • Nationalism
  • ISRAEL
  • Palestine
  • Biran

Cite this