Tooth loss and prosthodontic rehabilitation among 35- to 44-year-old Iranians

Hossein Hessari, Miira Vehkalahti, Mohammad J Eghbal, Heikki Murtomaa

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

    Abstract

    "This study aimed to investigate the frequency of tooth loss and the magnitude of prosthodontic rehabilitation based on socio-demographic information among 35- to 44-year-old Iranians. Data (n = 8240) were collected by 33 examiners as part of a national survey using WHO criteria for sampling and clinical diagnosis. Gender, age, place of residence and level of education served as socio-demographic information. The number of teeth, functional dentition (subjects with 20 or more teeth) and prosthodontic rehabilitation were used as clinical variables. The chi-square test and logistic regression analysis were the methods of statistical evaluation. Of all subjects, 3% were edentulous. Of dentate subjects, 3% had 1-9 teeth, 21% had 10-19 teeth, 37% had 20-24 teeth and 39% had 25-28 teeth. In total, 76% of dentate subjects enjoyed a functional dentition. Among dentate subjects, 11% of the men and 16% of the women had prosthodontic rehabilitation with higher figures (P < 0.001) among women, older subjects and urban residents. Having a functional dentition was more likely among those with higher levels of education [odds ratios (OR) = 1.8, 95% confidence intervals (CI) = 1.6-2.1]. Women (OR = 2.4, 95% CI = 1.8-3.0) and urban residents (OR = 2.4, 95% CI = 1.8-3.3) were the most likely groups to have prosthodontic rehabilitation. Having prosthodontic rehabilitation was more likely among those lacking a functional dentition (OR = 6.0, 95% CI = 4.8-7.6). The greatest unmet treatment needs were found among those without a functional dentition. Functional dentition should be set as a primary oral health goal among working-age adults."
    Original languageEnglish
    JournalJournal of Oral Rehabilitation
    Volume35
    Pages (from-to)245-251
    Number of pages7
    ISSN0305-182X
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - 2008
    MoE publication typeA1 Journal article-refereed

    Fields of Science

    • 313 Dentistry

    Cite this