Finnish Society of Forest Sciences, Medal, 2012
OKO Prize for best master’s thesis in the Faculty of Forestry, Helsinki, 1991
Research grants and commissions - see CV on Department website
Major scientific experiences
- COST Domain Expert, Finland, Forest products and services, 2010-2014.
- Reviewer of strong research environments, Sweden, FORMAS, March 2010.
- Reviewer of social science research on sustainability in Sweden (Research Council, Mistra, FORMAS, The Energy Agency and Riksbankens Jubileumsfond), June-October 2009.
- Chair of scientific evaluation panel, Evaluation of Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) on the research Quality and Impact (Area: Economics and Statistics), Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, April-May 2009.
- External evaluator of Professorship in Forest Economics and multifunctional forestry at the BOKU University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna Department of Economics and Social Sciences Production and Logistics in Forest based Industry, Austria, May 2009-April 2010.
- External evaluator of Assistant Professorship in Production Economy at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, June-August 2009.
- Member of PEFC Finland standardisation committee on behalf of Finnish Society of Forest Science, 23.9.2008-16.4.2009.
- Member of scientific evaluation board at the Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS). Group for “Economics, Society and Regional development”, Sweden. 1.6.2005-31.12.2008.
- Scientific evaluator (Independent Expert) for proposals in European Commission Call FP6-SSP5A, April-May 2006, Brussels.
Administrational duties and offices held in professional societies:
- Chairman, Scandinavian Society of Forest Economics, 2010-2012.
- Member of Advisory Board (Hoitokunnan jäsen), Finnish Forest Research Institute, Metla, Unit of Southern Finland, 2010-2012.
- Board member, Department of Forest Sciences, University of Helsinki, 2010-2013.
- Vice chairman (2010-2014) and member (2009-2010), evaluation committee of teaching qualifications, Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Helsinki.
- Board Member, Finnish Society of Forest Science, 2004-2009
- Chairman, Forest Economists Forum (Metsäekonomistiklubi) in Finland, 2002-2003
- Member of the Committee for Science and Program Policy, Finnish Society of Forest Science, 2002-2003
- Board Member, Forest Economists Forum (Metsäekonomistiklubi) in Finland, 2000-2002
- Deputy board member (1996–00) and Working Group Chair (1993-1999), Scandinavian Society of Forest Economics
Editorial work in scientific journals:
- Associate Editor in New Zealand Journal of Forest Science. 2009-, Forest Science 2015-, Bioproducts Business 2015-, and in Editorial Board of Forest Products Journal, 2010-, Member of Editorial Managing Board of Silva Fennica and Metsätieteen aikakauskirja, 2006-2009, Guest editor in Forest Policy and Economics (co-ordinated by John Perez-Garcia) in the Special Issue on Forest Sector Modelling, 2009.
- Referee in international journals: Agriculture and Food Science, African Journal of Agricultural Research, Agricultural Systems, Allgemeine Forst- und Jagdzeitung, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics, Business & Society, Business Strategy and the Environment, Biomass and Bioenergy, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Canadian Journal of Forest Research, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Energy Economics, Energy Policy, Environment, Development and Sustainability, Finnish Economic Papers, Forest Policy and Economics, Forest Products Journal, Forests, Forest Science, International Forestry Review, International Journal of Emerging Markets, International Journal of Forest Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Chemistry, Journal of Corporate Citizenship, Journal of Forest Economics, Journal of Forestry, Journal of Baltic Forestry, Metsätieteen aikakauskirja, New Zealand Journal of Forest Science, Physica, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Resource and Energy Economics, Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, Silva Fennica and Small Scale Forestry.Doctoral student supervisor (main supervisor):
- Katja Lähtinen, University of Joensuu, defended 2009
- Sinikka Mynttinen, University of Helsinki, defended 2009
- Ritva Toivonen, University of Helsinki, defended 2011
- Ning Li, University of Helsinki, defended 2012
- Minli Wan, University of Helsinki, defended 2014
- Yijing Zhang, University of Helsinki, defendedn 2014
- Jani Holopainen, University of Helsinki, ongoing 2012-
- Jaana Korhonen, University of Helsinki, ongoing 2012-
- Osmo Mattila, University of Helsinki, defended 2015
- Liina Häyrinen, University of Helsinki, ongoing 2013-
- Dalia D'Amato, University of Helsinki, ongoing 2013-
- Anna Harnmeijer, University of Helsinki, ongoing 2013-
- Antti Mutanen, University of Joensuu, ongoing 2004-
As supporting supervisor: Piia Aatola (Environmental economics, ongoing 2008-) and Kirsi Kettula (Forest products marketing, defended 2012). Number of supervised M.Sc. theses 53 and acted as an external examiner 21 times.