1. Personal details and date of CV
- Name: Kontkanen, Jenni Salla Sofia
- Date of CV: 24.9.2020
- Title of Docent in atmospheric sciences,University of Helsinki, 24.9.2020.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Helsinki, 21.12.2016.
Major: physics (grade: 5/5). Thesis: On the formation and growth of sub-3 nm atmospheric particles and molecular clusters (grade: pass with distinction)
- Master of Science, University of Helsinki, 31.8.2012.
Major: meteorology (grade: 5/5). Master’s thesis: The concentrations of sub-2 nm neutral clusters in Hyytiälä (grade: 7/7)
- Bachelor of Science, University of Helsinki, 22.6.2011.Major: meteorology (grade: 5/5). Bachelor’s thesis: The diurnal and seasonal variation of aerosol particles and meteorological conditions at a mountain site in Venezuela (grade: 5/5)
3. Current employment
- Current position: Postdoctoral researcher
- Employer: Institute for Atmospheric and Earth System Research (INAR), University of Helsinki
- Start date of employment: 1.1.2018
4. Previous work experience
- Postdoctoral researcher, Department of Environmental Science and Analytical Chemistry, Stockholm University: 1.2.2017–31.12.2017
- Doctoral student, Department of Physics, University of Helsinki: 1.9.2012–31.1.2017
- Research assistant, Department of Physics, University of Helsinki: 1.5.2010–31.8.2012
5. Research funding and grants
- Principal investigator, Academy of Finland post-doctoral researcher funding (243 555 e) for 1.9.2018–31.8.2021. Project title: Towards cleaner air: Understanding secondary particle formation in urban environments by using multi-scale modeling.
- Principal investigator, University of Helsinki funded doctoral student position in Doctoral Programme in Atmospheric Sciences, 31.1.2013–31.1.2017.
6. Research supervision and leadership experience
- Supervisor of 1 postdoctoral researcher
- Supervisorof 5 PhD students (4 ongoing, principal supervisor for 2).
- Supervisor of 2 Master’s students (principal supervisor for 1).
- Supervisor of 4 Bachelor’s students (principal supervisor for 1).
- Leader of the research group ‘Atmospheric aerosols and ions’ at INAR during 1.5.2019–31.12.2019 (parental leave substitute).
7. Teaching merits
- Responsible teacher of the course Aerosol physics II (5 ECTS) at University of Helsinki in 2018–2020.
- Lecturer in the intensive courses organized at University of Helsinki: “Summer School 2016 -Formation and Growth of Atmospheric Aerosols”, 08/2016, “Hyytiälä Winter School 2018 - Atmospheric Processes and Feedbacks and Atmosphere-Biosphere Interactions”, 03/2018, and “Summer School 2018 -Formation and Growth of Atmospheric Aerosols”, 08/2018.
- Pedagogical training: UP1: Learning in Higher Education (5 ECTS, 2019), UP2: Constructive Alignment in Course Design (5 ECTS, 2020).
8. Awards and honours
- PhD thesis award of Doctoral School of Natural Sciences (University of Helsinki), 2017.
- Finnish Association for Aerosol Research award for “Outstanding work in atmospheric nucleation research”, 2017.
- Best Student Oral Presentation award in NOSA Aerosol Symposium in 2014 (Stockholm, Sweden).
9. Other key academic merits
- Board member: Nordic Society for Aerosol Research (NOSA) board (01/2020 – ), NOSA early career scientist board (03/2018 – 12/2019).
- Working group co-chair: European Aerosol Assembly (EAA) WG: Atmospheric aerosol studies, (09/2019 – ).
- Referee for scientific journals: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, Science of the Total Environment, Atmospheric research, Atmosphere, Atmospheric pollution research.
- Editor-in-chief: Report Series in Aerosol Science of Finnish Association for Aerosol Research (02/2013–02/2016).
- Editorial board member: Ilmansuojelunlehti (a magazine of Finnish Air Pollution Prevention Society).
- Member of organizing committees for scientific conferences: 20th International Conference on Nucleation and Atmospheric Aerosols (Helsinki, 06/2017), 20th Air Ions, Clusters and Atmospheric Aerosols Workshop (Hyytiälä, 08/2016), 17th Finnish-Estonian Air Ion and Aerosol Workshop (Hyytiälä, 06/2013).
10. Scientific and societal impact of research
- Participation in international meetings:Participated in total 22 international meetings and given 12 oral presentations and 10 poster presentations. A session chair in 8 international meetings.
- Other publications: 1 article in Ilmansuojelunlehti (a magazine of Finnish Air Pollution Prevention Society).