Forskningsresultat per år
MAIN UNIVERSITIES OR COLLEGES ATTENDED; DEGREES
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Montpellier, France 1969-75
- Certificat d'études superieures de physiologie humaine générale
Montpellier, France 22.6.1973
- Legalized physician (laillistettu lääkäri), Central Medical Board of
- Diplome de Docteur en médecine (lääketieteen tohtori; Dr.med.),
Université de Montpellier, France, 15.1.1977
- Specialist in neurology (neurologian erikoislääkäri), Central Medical
Board of Finland, 23.4.1982
- PhD; D.Sci.med. (lääketieteen ja kirurgian tohtori; Ph.D.),
University of Helsinki, 24.8.1982.
- Docent in Neurology (neurologian dosentti; Adjunct professor in
Neurology), University of Helsinki, 16.12.1987 - cont
- Specialist in Health Care Administration, University of Helsinki
- Competence of Professor in Neurology, University of Helsinki, 2002
- Competence of Professor in Public Health, University of Kuopio, 2003
- Competence of Professor in Neurology, University of Tampere, 2004
- Title of Professor, President of the Republic, Helsinki, 30.11.2012
- Board Certif. in Sleep Medicine, Finnish Medical Association, 1998
- Advisor in Sleep Medicine, Finnish Sleep Res. Society, 1998
- Board Certif. in Traffic Medicine, Finnish Medical Association, 1999
- Specialist in Sleep Medicine, NOSMAC, 2009
- Somnologist - Specialist in Sleep Medicine, ESRS, 2012
- Fellow, American Academy of Neurology, 2018
MOST IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE IN MEDICAL PRACTICE, WITH INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED
- Resident, HUCH, 1978-82
- Assistant, Dept Public Health, U Helsinki, 1980-81
- Lecturer, U Helsinki, Dept of Neurology, 1982-83
- Senior Researcher, Dept Epidemiology and Biometry, Institute of
Occupational Health, Helsinki, 1983 - 85
- Research Director, Ullanlinna Sleep Disorder's Clinic and Research
Centre, 1984 - 1995
- Research Fellow (NIH), Stanford University, USA, 1985-1986
- Visiting Professor, U Bologna, Inst of Neurology, Italy, 1987
- Staff specialist, Dept of Neurology, HUCH, 1985-96
- Hospital Director, Vaajasalo Hospital and the National Epilepsy Centre, 11/89 - 10/90
- Chief Neurologist, Kivelä Hospital, Helsinki City, 8/91 - 3/95
- Director of Research & Development, National Research and Development
Centre for Health and Social Affairs 11/93 - 12/94
- Director of Research, Haaga Neurological Research Centre and the
Epilepsy Foundation Helsinki, 3/1996 – 8/2003, and 2008
- Chief physician, Rinnekoti Research Centre, and Director of the
Skogby Sleep Clinic, Rinnekoti Foundation, Espoo, 8/2003 –5/2008
- Research Director, Helsinki Sleep Clinic, Vitalmed Research Centre,
Helsinki, Finland, 5/2008 – continuing
- Visiting Professor, Department of Neuroscience, University of
Uppsala, Sweden, 10/2013 continuing
POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING, EXPERIENCE FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES, WORKING IN FOREIGN INSTITUTES AS A RESEARCHER OR VISITING PROFESSOR
- Université de Paris VI, Hôpital Pitié-Salpétriere, Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, France, 1982 (Jean Scherrer)
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, USA 1985-1986 (18 months; NIH Fogarty
International Fellowship; Professor Christian Guilleminault and Professor William Dement)
- Albert Einstein University, Montefiore Hospital, New York, USA 1986
(2 weeks; Michael Thorpy)
- University of Bologna, Clinica Neurologica, Bologna, Italy, 1987
(Visiting professor 6 months; Professor Elio Lugaresi).
- University of Tarto, Visiting Professor, Estonia, 1 month, 2007
ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE; POST-GRADUATE TRAINING IN ADMINISTRATION, COURSES ATTAINDED, AND DEGREES
See above: More than 25 years of experience in leading administrative positions.
- Teaching experience since 1979. Continuing to teach medical
students at the University of Helsinki, and in other institutions, Finland
- Organising and giving lectures in several practical courses,
training sessions, symposia and meetings for medical students, researchers and physicians (having had on average more than 30 lectures at the graduate and/or post graduate level per year since 1986 – continuing; total number more than 850 lectures by end of 2010).
- Field of teaching and lectures given:
Sleep, fatigue and sleep disorders, traffic medicine, biostatistical and epidemiological methodology, intellectual disability, epilepsy, pain, different aspects of neuropsychiatry
- International teaching experience in a role of a visiting professor
or lecturer in Estonia, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Sweden, Russia, Turkey, and USA.
ACADEMIC SUPERVISOR/MENTOR OF DOCTORAL STUDENTS
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Tiina Telakivi, 1984-87
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Christer Hublin, 1990-94
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Timo Partonen, 1991-96
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Jukka Lojander, 1992-98
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Kirsti Martikainen, 1994-1998
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Anniina Alakuijala, 2004-2007
- Supervisor, Computational Sciences, Joonas Paalasmaa, 2011-2015
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Ari Ylikoski, 2013-2016
- Supervisor, Doctor in Nutrition, Huan Xiao, 2015-2017
- Supervisor, Doctor in Psychology, Elina Marttinen, 2012-2017
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Tomi Sarkanen, 2014-2019
Total = supervising 11 Doctoral students until Dissrtation
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Riikka Huhta
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Walter Niemelä (U. Uppsala)
- Supervisor, Medical Dissertation, Eemil Partinen
Total = 3 ongoing doctoral students under supervision
REVIEWER AND OPPONENT OF DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS
- Reviewer, Medicine, Olli Polo, University of Turku, 1991
- Reviewer, Medicine, Björn Appelberg, University of Helsinki, 1993
- Opponent, Medicine, Maaria Seppälä, University of Turku,1992
- Reviewer, Medicine, Tommy Sjöholm, University of Turku, 1995
- Reviewer, Medicine, Turkka Kirjavainen, University of Turku, 1997
- Opponent, Medicine, Päivi Polo-Kantola, University of Turku, 1999
- Opponent, Medicine, Sari-Leena Himanen, University of Tampere, 2000
- Opponent, Medicine, Outi Saarenpää-Heikkilä, U. of Tampere, 2001
- Reviewer, Medicine, Peter Nieminen, University of Oulu, 2002
- Reviewer, Psychology, Igor Radun, University of Helsinki, 2009
- Reviewer, Medicine, Huyun Hor, University of Lausanne, Switzerland,
- Opponent, Medicine, Mahssa Karimi, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Opponent, Medicine, Attila Szakacs, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Opponent, Health Sciences, Maria Luojus, University of Eastern Finland, Finland,2017
Total = 7 times as a reviewer and 7 times as an official academic opponent.
EXAMINER ASSESSING QUALIFICATIONS FOR PROFESSORSHIPS IN FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES
- University of Southern California, San Diego, USA, 1988
- University of Southern California, San Diego, USA, 1997
- University of Chicago, Chicago, USA, 1997
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA, 1997
- University of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, USA, 2007
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, 2015
Total = 6 times reviewer for professorships
ADVISORY RESEARCH BOARDS in FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES
- Member of the Advisory Board, Genetic Studies of Snoring and Sleep Apnea, Stanford University, USA, 1996- continuing
- Advisor, Board of Medical Research Grants, University of Hong Kong, 1997- continuing
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND MAJOR GRANTS
1980: A grant from the Finnish Cultural Foundation. A grant from the
Finnish Foundation for Cardiovascular Research
1981: A grant from the Finnish Neurological Foundation
1982: A grant from the Emil Aaltonen Foundation. A grant from the Military Medicine Research Foundation.
1982: A scholarship of the Council of Europe for a 1 month visit to
French sleep laboratories (Paris VI)
1983: Research Fellow salaried by the Paavo Nurmi Foundation,
3 months. A grant from the Medical Academy
1984: A grant from the Miina Sillanpää Foundation
1984: Research Fellow salaried by the Paavo Nurmi Foundation,
1985-1986 (15 months): A grant from the U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services (Public Health Service International Research Fellow); University of Stanford, USA
1986: A grant from the Yrjö Jahnsson foundation. Researcher, Bologna, Italy
1987: A grant from the Miina Sillanpää Foundation
1988-2000: Marquis Who's Who in the World 1989-2000
1989: Biographical recognition in the International Book of Honor
1989: Research Board of Advisors of the American Biographical Institute
1989: A grant from the Miina Sillanpää Foundation. A grant from the Medical Academy
1989: A grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (NIH)
1990: A grant from the Miina Sillanpää Foundation. A grant from the
1990: A grant from the NIH, USA
1991-1995: A grant from the Miina Sillanpää Foundation during 5 consecutive years
1995: A grant from the Finnish Heart Foundation
1995: A grant from the Finnish Fund for Occupational Safety
1995: European Union, Telematics, European Neurological Network ENN
1996: A grant from the European Community, ENN (European Neurological
Network; Partner and Coordinator for Finland) 1996-1999
1997: A grant from the Finnish Gambling Society (RAY) 1997-2000
1998: A grant from the Finnish Fund for Occupational Safety
1998: A grant from the European Community, ENN 2000 1999-2001
1999: Lääkäriseura Duodecim (Medical Journal Duodecim). Writing prize.
2001: A grant from the Finnish Fund for Occupational Safety
2001: A Prize for safety in traffic (Liikenneturvan liikenneturvallisuuden tiedotuspalkinto)
2001: A grant from Academy of Finland
2003: A grant from the Rinnekoti Research Foundation
2004: A grant from the Rinnekoti Research Foundation
2005: A grant from the Rinnekoti Research Foundation
2006: A grant from the Rinnekoti Research Foundation
2007: A grant from Academy of Estonia
2007: A grant from Academy of Finland
2009: A grant from Academy of Finland
2009: A grant from the Rinnekoti Research Foundation
2010: A grant from the Parkinson Foundation
2011: A grant from the Academy of Finland
2012: A grant from the Academy of Finland
2012: A grant from the Parkinson Foundation
2012: A grant from the Gyllenberg Foundation
2014: A grant from the Parkinson Foundation
2016: A grant from the Parkinson Foundation
2017: A grant from the Parkinson Foundation
EDITORSHIPS AND EDITORIAL BOARDS OF PEER REVIEWED INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS
- Sleep (USA, Raven Press)
- Associate editor 1986-1990 and 2000 - 2001
- Member of the advisory editorial board 1991- 2007
- Journal of Sleep Research
- Associate Editor 1990-1998
- Member of the Editorial Board 1998-2004 and 2008 -
- Sleep Medicine Reviews
- Member of the editorial board 1997-
- Sleep Medicine
- Member of the editorial board 1998 –
- European Journal of General Medicine
- Member of the editorial board 2007 –
- Frontiers in Sleep and Chronobiology
- Associate Editor 2015 -
REVIEWER (REFEREE) OF THE FOLLOWING SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
- Science Transl Med, The Lancet, British Medical Journal, American J of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Annals of Neurology, Nature Reviews, Neurology, Stroke, Frontiers in Neurology, American J of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neuroscience Letters, Eur J Neurol, J Intern Med, J Sleep Res, Sleep, Sleep Medicine, Chest, European Respir Journal, Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol, Perceptual and Motor Skills Psychological Reports, IEEE Transactions, Scand J Work Environ Health, Acta Neurol Scand, Int J Obesity, Pediatric Research, PharmacoEconomics, Duodecim, Suomen Lääkärilehti
BOARD POSITIONS IN PROFESSIONAL SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
- World Association of Sleep Medicine, Founder, President elect 2003 – 2005, President 2003 – 2005, Mb of the board 2007-2013
- Scandinavian Sleep Research Society. Member of the executive board
(Finland's representative) 1982-88, President 1988-90
- European Sleep Research Society (ESRS). Member of the Scientific
Committee 1986-90, Vice-president 1992-1994
- World Federation of Sleep Research Societies (WFSRS).Member of the
Executive Board and Coordinating Secretary 1996- 2003
- European Narcolepsy Network, Member of the Board 2012-, Chair of the Scientific Committee 2014- 2019, Treasurer 2014-2019.
- Finnish Sleep Federation, Founder, and President 2000 - 2011
- Finnish Sleep Research Society (Suomen Unitutkimusseura ry). Founder and President 1988-2000, and 2014- 2019. Member of the Executive Board 2004 – 2013, and 2019-.
MEMBERSHIPS IN SCIENTIFIC AND OTHER MEDICAL SOCIETIES
- American Academy of Neurology
- Movement Disorders Society
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- EU Narcolepsy Network
- Sleep Research Society
- European Sleep Research Society
- European Neurological Society
- World Association of Sleep Medicine à World Sleep Society
OTHER SOCIETY ACTIVITY
- Finnish Parkinson Federation (President) 2016-, Finnish Restless Legs Society 1999 – (President, Finnish Sleep Federation 1998- (President), EARLS 2009- (Member of the Executive Board)
MEMBER IN INTERNATIONAL TASK FORCES, INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEES, AND STUDY GROUPS
- World Health Organisation (WHO) ICF Core Set for Sleep Task Group,
Steering Committee, Co-chairperson, 2005 –
- Member of the International Study Group for Restless Legs 2002 –
- Member of the European Study Group for Restless Legs Syndrome 2003 -
- Member of the Nordic Study Group for Restless Legs Syndrome 2003 -
- Member of the Scientist Panel on Sleep Disorders. European Federation of Neurological Societies (EFNS), 1996 - continuing.
- International Committee on Diagnostic Classification of Sleep Disorders, Chairman Michael Thorpy, 1986-1991
- European CEE Task Force on Non Laboratory Monitoring Systems,
Chairman AN Nicholson, 1987-1991
- American Thoracic Society Committee on the Use of Continuous Positive
Airway Pressure, Chairman Philip White, 1989-1993
- Task Force on the Evaluation of Snoring and Sleep Apnea. ASDA
Standards of Practice Committee, 1993 - 1995
- Task Force on Accreditation of Sleep Disorders Clinics and Sleep
Laboratories in Europe, European Sleep Research Society, 1996 - 1997
PRESIDENT, MEMBER OF THE ORGANIZATION/SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE OF INTERNATIONAL CONGRESSES AND SYMPOSIA (Some of the most important listed)
- Fifth International Congress of Sleep Research, Copenhagen Denmark,
September 1987, Member of the Organization Committee.
- Fourth Scandinavian Congress on Sleep Research, Turku, Finland, March
1988, President of the Congress.
- Symposium on Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome, Siuntio, Finland, June
1988, President of the Symposium.
- Eleventh European Congress on Sleep Research, Helsinki, Finland, July
1992, President of the Congress (1000 participants presented).
- 8th Scandinavian Congress on Sleep Research, Helsinki, Finland, May
1999, Member of the Organization Committee.
- The 7th World Congress on Sleep Apnea, Helsinki, Finland, June 2003,
President of the Congress.
- The 1st World Congress of Sleep Medicine, Berlin, Germany, October 2005. Co-chair of the congress.
- The 8th World Congress on Sleep Apnea, Montreal, Canada, September 2006. Member of the Organization Committee.
- The 2nd World Congress of Sleep Medicine, Bangkok, Thailand, February
2007. Chair of the congress.
- The Paradox of REM Sleep. Scientific Research and Clinical
Applications. An International Symposium, Co-chair, Lyon, France, January 2009
- The 4th World Congress of Sleep Medicine, Quebec, Canada, Sept
2011, Member of the Scientific Committee
- The 23rd European Sleep Research Congress, Tallinn, September 2016,
Member of the Organisation Committee
- The 5th Nordic Narcolepsy Symposium, Helsinki, February 2018, Chair of the congress.
Total number with an organizational/scientific committee role in different international congresses and symposia is more than 100
INVITED SPEAKER IN INTERNATIONAL CONGRESSES
Total number is more than 220.
INVITED CHAIRMAN TO INTERNATIONAL CONGRESSES
Some of the congresses in the early stages of my career:
- Fifth European Sleep Congress of the European Sleep Research Society.
Amsterdam, September 1980 (chairman in: Phenomenology of sleep).
- Sixth European Congress of Sleep Res. Zürich, March 1982(chairman
in section: Sleep EEG and clinical reports).
- First Nordic Symposium of Sleep Research. Copenhagen, September 1982
(chairman: Epidemiology of sleep disorders, sleep apneas).
- Eight European Sleep Research Congress, Szeged, Hungary, September
1986(chairman of the symposium on epidemiology).
- Fifth International Congress of Sleep Research, Copenhagen, July 1987
(chairman of the symposium on sleep apnea syndrome).
- Ninth European Congress of Sleep Research, Jerusalem, September 1988
(chairman of the session on epidemiology).
- Tenth European Congress of Sleep Research, Strasbourg, May 1990
(chairman of the session on epidemiology).
- Eleventh European Congress of Sleep Research, Helsinki, July 1992
(chairman in the Young scientist symposium).
Chairman in international congresses and symposia since 2005
- World Assoc of Sleep Med 1st Congress, Berlin 15-18 October, 2005
- 8th World Congress of Sleep Apnea. Symposium on movement disorders in
patients with OSAS. Montreal, Canada, September 2006
- Several other congresses and international meetings during 1993-2008.
- Several other symposia, workshops and international meetings during
the years 1995-2012. Total number since 1980 is more than 230.
Original publications, peer-reviewed 285
Original publications, Editorials, International letters 7
International review articles in peer-reviewed journals 16
Original publications in Finnish Journals 15
Review articles in Finnish 31
Editor of International Books 1
Chapters in International Textbooks and Research Series 40
Author/ editor of Finnish Books 9
Chapters in Finnish Textbooks and Research Series 61
Proceedings articles; peer-reviewed 57
Other publications in Finnish 27
Abstracts in International Congresses 230+
Hirsch-index (H-index) by December 2019 in ISI Web of Sciences 61 (total number of publication in Web of Science 354, cited 12 735 times.
Other abstracts, lectures and (not listed above)
- Not all abstracts in International congresses are listed. Total number exceeds 270
- Abstracts in annual meetings of the Finnish Medical Society (Lääkäripäivät) since 1979: more than 35
- Abstracts and lectures (CME-accreditated educational lectures) in Finnish Educational symposia and meetings: more than 500.
- Articles and/or interviews in Newspapers and other Periodical Journals. Total number over 400.
- Presentations and programs in the radio and television. Total over 200.
Helsinki 21. December 2019
Markku Partinen, MD, PhD, FAAN
Professor, Research Director
Helsinki Sleep Clinic, Vitalmed Research Centre
Valimotie 21, FIN-00380 Helsinki, Finland
Adjunct Professor, PI, Clinicum, U Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Phone: +358 10 2311480
Information om forskning och undervisning
Sleep research and sleep medicine. Currently the main areas of research ar on narcolepsy, sleep apnea, fatigue including chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Development of CBT methods in treatment of insomnia disorders.
Students in training have been mainly medical students, young physicians and psychologists.
Utbildning / akademisk kvalifikation
Sleep Medicine, Somnologist, Expert in Sleep Medicine
Tilldelningsdatum: 4 sep 2012
Traffic Medicine, Expert in Traffic Medicine
Tilldelningsdatum: 19 mar 1999
Administration, Special Competence in Administration
Tilldelningsdatum: 24 mar 1994
Sömnmedicin, Sleep Expert
Member of the Steering Board, European ME Research Group; EMERG14 nov 2019 → …
Member of the Council, European ME Clinicians Council; EMECC22 feb 2019 → …
President, Parkinsonliitto ry1 jan 2016 → …
President, Suomen unitutkimusseura (SUS)6 mar 2015 → 29 mar 2019
President, The Finnish Society for Traffic Medicine. Suomen liikennelääketieteen yhdistys.26 mar 2012 → 19 mar 2014
President, World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM)4 okt 2004 → 10 jun 2006
Research DIrector, Helsinki Sleep Clinic, Vitalmed Research Center5 jan 2004 → …
President elect, World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM)11 jun 2002 → 4 okt 2004
President, Suomen Unitutkimusseura ry (SUS); Finska Sömnforskningssällskapet r.f.; Finnish Sleep Research Society5 jan 1988 → 15 mar 1999
- 3124 Neurologi och psykiatri
- 3142 Folkhälsovetenskap, miljö och arbetshälsa
Forskningsoutput: Tidskriftsbidrag › Artikel › Vetenskaplig › Peer review
Forskningsoutput: Tidskriftsbidrag › Artikel › Vetenskaplig › Peer review
Forskningsoutput: Tidskriftsbidrag › Översiktsartikel › Vetenskaplig › Peer review
Fibromyalgia is often connected with disability pension: a very long-term follow-up study in FinlandIsomeri, R., Mikkelsson, M., Partinen, M., Kautiainen, H. & Kauppi, M. J., 20 jul 2020, I : Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. 2 s.
Forskningsoutput: Tidskriftsbidrag › Brev › Vetenskaplig › Peer review
Forskningsoutput: Tidskriftsbidrag › Artikel › Vetenskaplig › Peer review
Projekt per år
14/11/2019 → …
20/10/2010 → …
Aktiviteter per år
Markku Partinen (Talare: Presentation), & Markku Partinen (Medlem i organisationskommitté)
Aktivitet: Typer för deltagande i eller organisering av evenemang › Arrangemang av och deltagande i konferens/workshop/kurs/seminarium